- This event has passed.
COURSE #: 2020061838
INSTRUCTOR: Robert Nelson, JD, CPA
8 CE hours
Nonmembers CPAs pay an additional $21.25 per credit hour for CE classes; nonmember CPAs will be held responsible for paying this additional amount.
The purpose of this seminar is to discuss the various tax issues related to the acquisition, ownership, development and disposition of real estate, as well as the preferred real estate holding entities such as limited partnerships and limited liability entities. In addition, it will address the new tax law changes as they affect real estate taxation. Specifically, the course will address the following issues:
- new 3 year holding period for carried interests
- new business interest expense 30% limitation
- new depreciation recovery periods
- new choice of entity considerations for real estate
- new section 199A (Qualified Business Income 20% Deduction)
- in-depth review of the formation of real estate ventures ( i.e., carried interests, contribution of intellectual property, preferred return, payback issues)
- cost segregation studies
- depreciation issues
- landlord and lessee issues
- capitalization issues
- lease agreements
- special allocations
- bottom guarantees
- 754 elections and 704(c) allocation issues
- passive activity issues
- at-risk rules
- environmental and demolition costs
- installment sales
- like-kind exchange planning
- construction financing issues
To understand the various tax issues related to the acquisition, ownership, development and disposition of real estate as well as to understand the new tax law changes as they affect real estate taxation. .
Prerequisites: The method of presentation is group-live instruction and the program level is overview & update. There are no prerequisites nor is there any advanced preparation required.