COURSE #: 2020021122
INSTRUCTOR: Rachael Rubenstein, JD, Senior Attorney, Clark Hill Strasburger
Nonmembers CPAs pay an additional $21.25 per credit hour for CE classes; nonmember CPAs will be held responsible for paying this additional amount.
This presentation will address a variety of tax considerations for divorcing couples post TCJA including
- general community property rules
- relief from Community Property laws and Innocent Spouse Relief
- transfers of property incident to divorce
- return filings and filing status in year of divorce
- unfiled returns for prior years
- Kiddie tax
- 529 plans
- allocation of tax liabilities
- allocation of Child Tax Credit and education credits following elimination of dependency exemptions
- elimination of alimony deduction except for grandfathered agreements and implications
- trust planning to minimize cost of elimination of alimony deduction
- dealing with tax problems
Learning Objective(s): Participants will identify and evaluate tax considerations for divorcing couples in Texas post TCJA.
Prerequisites: The method of presentation is group-live instruction and the program level is basic overview/update. There are no prerequisites for this course nor is there any advanced preparation required.