- This event has passed.
Nonmembers CPAs pay an additional $21.25 per credit hour for CE classes; nonmember CPAs will be held responsible for paying this additional amount.
COURSE #: 2020011634
Instructor: Christi Mondrik, Attorney, CPA, TBLS Board Certified – Tax Law
This course will provide
- updates to the Texas sales and use tax, including recent legislative, case law, and administrative developments, and new laws and rules regarding which out-of-state businesses are responsible for collecting and remitting Texas sales and use tax
- an overview of how the Texas sales and use tax and the local taxes apply to Texas and interstate sales
- rules that determine which goods and services are taxable in Texas
- a discussion of services including issues that arise as a result of advancing technology and virtual service delivery, residential and commercial construction, real property services, repairs and remodeling, as well as computer-related and internet-based services, such as data processing and information services
- multi-state tax discussion addressing nexus, drop shipments, multi-state services, and other interstate tax issues
- tips for preserving exemptions, including exempt items, exempt organizations and usage exemptions including a discussion of the special rules and documents that apply to various industries, including manufacturing, agricultural, and timber industries and special documentation requirements for gas and electricity exemptions and exempt export sales
- strategies for taxability research, audit preparation, voluntary disclosure, audit documentation and preserving evidence for hearings
- Comptroller rules and SOAH procedures for challenging audit results administratively and your client’s options for litigating state tax matters in court
Course Objective(s): Participants will
- be able to identify which items are potentially taxable and determine when they are subject to Texas sales or use tax
- learn how to apply exemptions and exclusions and how to properly document them in preparation for a Comptroller audit
- learn about recent case law affecting the Comptroller’s application of the Texas sales and use tax
- learn advanced skills and strategies for researching sales and use tax issues, handling voluntary disclosures and preparing your clients for audits
Prerequisites: The method of presentation is group-live instruction and the program level is review & update. There are no prerequisites for this course nor is there any advanced preparation required.