Your TXCPA-SA Chapter is reaching out to your colleagues – CPAs, CPA candidates, student members and affiliates – to learn how you all are coping with the new normal brought on by COVID-19.
TXCPA-SA member Mark Goldman, CPA, President of MGR Accounting Recruiters and host of Where Accountants Go podcast, offered the following information about his new normal.
Are you currently working from home, in your office solo or in the normal pre-COVID-19 arrangement? Home office
How many people did you work with normally? Generally, 5 in the office, but we usually have many visitors each day – interviews, employers, etc.
What was a typical day like before “Stay Home, Work Safe”?
- Arrive at office between 7:30-8 am
- Drink an absurd amount of Diet Coke
- Leave around 5:30 pm
What is your typical day like now?
- Wake up at 6:00 am and feed our infant foster child since I don’t have to commute (so my wife can get a little more sleep)
- Walk into the home office between 7:30 – 8 am
- Drink an absurd amount of homemade soda (some things don’t change!)
- Take breaks and get chastised by my teenage daughter for slacking off
- Eat lunch with the family
- Work until about 4 – 5 pm
- Then I’m enjoying cooking dinner now as well – it’s actually starting to taste decent! I’m improving! 🙂
Can you share a small or big success story or silver lining that you didn’t expect? Our team is still filling permanent and temporary positions, but the process has definitely evolved to match the times. During this time, we’ve filled jobs from bookkeeper to CFO – just starting as remote.
Has there been a small or big not-so-successful happening? I have struck out many times trying to buy toilet paper. But I’m getting smarter about it. I’ll be the guy camping in the tent at 4 am at HEB. Haha!
Any words of wisdom for your fellow accounting types? Use this time to figure out what’s really important to you in life. It’s a great time for some soul-searching.
What do you miss the most? I miss seeing our team in-person regularly. We have a very dedicated, and oddly hilarious, team.
What are you most grateful for now? My wife said, “I like having you at home.” That’s pretty cool.
Very cool, Mark.